Monday, July 2, 2007

Dread not Fear not

This afternoon at my meeting (with my one member, but that is a whole other story... biting tongue... biting tongue) we talked about what motivates those who work out to work out? How do we get over our own self-consciousness? How does it become something you look forward to doing instead of dreading?

Good question.

Dance so far has been the one form of physical activity I do not "dread" in any way. Maybe because I have no expectations for myself and I am not expected to perform in any way or using it to "earn" activity points. Yes, I earn them I am sure. But that isn't the point.

Other activities I enjoy once I am doing them or sometimes not until I am done include: running, swimming, working out with weights, tennis, yoga, hiking, cross-training on the gym machines, etc. I enjoy the sense of achievement running gives me; the peace of mind from yoga and the temporary power to eat mindfully; getting out there with nature when it comes to hiking and trail running; and time to bond and socialize with like-minded friends during any of these activities (working out with a friend usually makes it more fun).

Sure I feel good doing all of them and like the way my arms feel after a good weight workout.

The thing is how do we find that one activity that we like no matter how we are feeling that day? Does it exist? I guess we got to keep looking. That unto itself is part of the adventure. We can't dread what we do not know.

Besides that I did workout this morning. I chose two different aerobics machines (the retro-stair monster and stair mill). I started out feeling tired and draggy yet inevitably I felt better and somewhat competitive with the machine after 10 minutes (you know, make it an even mile, make it an even 100 cals, make it 15 minutes, through the next song, make it 2 miles, 200 cals, etc etc).

This morning's was a fake it until you make it kind of workout. I can do anything for 10 minutes. And you know, I did! I did it for 40 -- yeah me!

No comments: