Friday, July 6, 2007

Cheater! Cheater!

Recently I was asked what I do, as a WW Leader, when I know members are "cheating." I thought about this. I don't really do anything. A person knows whether s/he is doing the program or not. It's all about choices and we make our own. No one can do it for anyone else.

I didn't realize until I became a leader that there are members who just don't seem to want it as badly nor are they willing to follow the program they are paying for. I was also surprised at the low percentage of LT members that are awarded. I just figured everyone was on the losing track and would make it eventually so long as they didn't quit (and I have joined and quit numerous times, but I didn't hang around if I wasn't ready to do what it took).

It does frustrate me when I see how badly some people want it yet they aren't doing the work to match their level of want.

Or are they?

I just read a man's post (a big loser like myself) who summed it up pretty nicely. The whole secret to sticking with something comes down to what we want the most. When I started my journey I was so ready to do what it took. I wasn't going to let anyone or anything get in my way. For me losing weight was an emergency situation and I was ready to make my move. Why waste time, I thought?

Well not everyone is on the same path. Some people are on the scenic route. The scenic route is fine as long as we are enjoying the journey.

Like now, at maintenance/needing to lose a few pounds I don't go nuts with the discipline. Yes I am disciplined enough to get enough workouts in and to eat most within my points, but it isn't as important for me to write down every BLT (bite lick and taste)like I used to when I was really on the losing track.

My body may not be perfect. But it is sure a lot better now with over 100 pounds gone and can do a lot more too. Is that enough? Maybe for now.

But when you really want to lose and are going for the goal in the most direct way possible, you've got to REALLY WANT IT, like there is a fire under your butt. That is how it felt.

I was throwing stuff out of our kitchen that was too tempting. I would find myself staring at the fridge and yelling, "stop" and marching away without taking anything out when I wasn't "hungry." I would eat pickles or a plain pretzel first as a snack before I would consider anything else more pointific. Water I would drink like there was no tomorrow. If I wanted something sweet I would have a diet coke. Desserts, even lower cal ones, had not place in our house. And you know what? I averaged close to 2 pounds a week. And that was without crazy exercise. Did I miss my favorite foods? Not so much that I could go without them most of the time.

If I really wanted something I would eat it out and not eat the whole thing. Then there was no snacking allowed for the rest of the night.

So why I can't I drop these annoying three pounds? Because they don't annoy me enough to want to give up my nightly dessert and extra snacks.

But that is what it takes for me. It isn't about the diet. It is about the WANT.

Check out Gotta Keep It Off!: The $64,000 Question

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello and thanks for the nice words about my blog. I'm definitely going to make your blog one of my regular stops. It's always helpful to get another perspective on this weight loss journey.

Pleasure to meet you!

Mystic Kitty said...

Likewise! Sorry for the phantom post without introducing myself. Your post was just so appropos today. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Jack Sprat said...

Danielle: I think if someone uses the word "cheating" it says more about them then it says about anyone else. You can cheat on a test, you can cheat on your taxes and you can cheat on your spouse ... but in WeightWatchers there is no right way or wrong way.

Like you, when I joined, it was out of desperation and, like you, I averaged two pounds a week for 25 weeks. I walked away from food, I stopped BEFORE I was full, I said "no" to a lot of things because I was determined.

Was that the "right" way to lose weight? I dunno.

These days I'm not as driven, I'm not as focused and I'm not as careful. Sometimes I don't write down all my points, sometimes I fudge. Sometimes I do short workouts at the gym, sometimes I drive when I could walk.

Its not "cheating." Its just reality.

-J