Tuesday, May 22, 2007

So you just THINK you're anonymous

Hi! I am the crazy running girl you see running down the street most mornings. Yes you, the person who I am waving at frantically so you don't hit me you are sort of stopping to make a right turn. Yes you!

Six-ish years have gone by since I started running these "mean" streets. I run early in the morning during the Vegas Summer (starts in May) or as late in the morning or day as I can get away with during our surprisingly freezing winter (yes the temps do drop to 32 or less sometimes and we get an occassional flurry).

So I never thought anyone noticed or cared. The cars speed by and I am plugged into my MP3, letting the music propel me forward.

I even ask neighbors if they have noticed me out there. I thought maybe I had a little fan club going I could hit up the next time I am looking for sponsors for my next good-cause race. But alas no one I know noticed -- LOL!

Aside from the occassional kiss from a passing husband, I figured I was as good as invisible. Especially with all the waving I must do to keep from being hit by those danged cars making rights and not looking right.

Except for the people at the gas station. Not only am I the crazy lady with the daily diet coke/gum habit, but they do notice me running by. So did the man at the tank next to me yesterday. His name is Bob and he has noticed me running for years. (So I do have a fan!) He is out there walking in the mornings and I have noticed him a few times and give him "the nod" as I jog by.

So the next time I am out there I will pick up my pace a little knowing that my fan club is out there watching and cheering me on (at least in my own mind).

Hey not every run is a t-shirt race. Nor do I have the luxury of running with a buddy every time. But it is nice to know I am not "alone."

Miles run today: 5.2, tired but triumphant, sticky song: Shakira's Ojos Asi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hiya Danielle!
I'm one of your biggest fans!
Thanks for meeting me at Bodypump today :-) We need to make that a ritual...maybe if we're lucky, next time we can get a mini golden spoon afterwards :-) Have fun this weekend, see you next Tuesday?