Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pat head, rub belly, chew gum and talk!

That's what learning BD is like. And the teacher leads you into the next combo in deceptively simple fashion:

"But I have two left hips," I say.

Slide hips from side to side. Now L front R back. Now smooth it out into a hip circle. Easy, eh?

I can do that! Maybe I am a belly prodigy and I don't know it.

Now walk. Step, together, step together. Add the hip circle. Easy! Whoa! Entire class suddenly falls apart. She goes over it again.

Now walk in a circle.

Now stylize with arms.

Now add a shimmy on top of the circle.

Um, I suddenly lost the hip circle in all of this. By now we are moving too fast, having added it to our routine to music!

Suddenly I have two left hips again. So the process goes.

Then I spend the next five days doing traveling hip circles around the house. The husband pretends not to notice and the cats shun me. This isn't quite the effect I imagined BD to have on our household.

On a more mundane note, I did meet R yesterday for body pump after my last Tues BD class of the summer (the Tues teacher will go on tour for two months :(). I pumped up the intensity with extra weight on top this time which I am sure will make its presence totally known by later today or tomorrow.

Somehow all this cross-training is to make my running-life easier!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Body Pump is mundane? Well, I guess to hip circles and shimmies, I suppose so.

I should be able to get to the gym between 3 and 3:30 next Tuesday (finals start that day, so maybe a little earlier depending on time committments)