Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Learning Curve

I just embarked on a new adventure this week, a new job working for KNPR radio as their online content coordinator -- whew what a title!

The people are nice enough, the hours, benefits, pay, etc etc are all well and good. It's just that suddenly walking into a totally new situation with new people and new tasks is like being beamed onto another planet where up is down and down is up. It is enough to make the smartest person suddenly stupid.

It's not just learning the job that is the challenge (like starting with what am I supposed to do, exactly?) since there is no one around who did what I did before or if there was someone, he isn't there now to show me. Dealing with the people is a challenge. Again, everyone is nice; however, trying to time the questions, making sure I am asking enough questions and asking them in the right way is the challenge.

Of course even the most basic tasks require a brain transplant. The programs I am used to using are slightly different (it has been so long since I have set any preferences) enough that a task as simple as training my email box to remove junk email so I don't have a slew of penis ads staring me in the face on my work computer every morning has been daunting.

Add to that sheer memorization involved of suddenly having to know who does what even though we have only met each other once (so what if they knew I was coming for three weeks).

So back to school I have gone. It is a good thing. I would rather feel younger than older. They say work keeps a person young. Whoever they are aren't kidding when they say that.

Actually the experience has been motivating so far. I want to learn new programming languages and perhaps a new field (I have always been interested in journalism/writing since HS newspaper days). So here we go. Be careful of what you ask or wish for.

On the health and fitness front... I am channelling this "back to school" feeling into "back to basics" behaviors. So far I have used my brand spanking new WW mug everyday (I wander the halls carrying that thing) and brought my healthy lunch in my WW insulated cooler. I stocked my desk with healthy snacks and eat them only when I feel a physical need, believe it or not. Amazing how that whole snacking thing changes when you are busy and feeling "under the gun" or "stressed to impress." I also plan on bringing my walking sneaks as I work on the community college campus near a residential area so I see a great opportunity to gain some AP's. Other positive steps have been to go for a short run before work.

So there, you see. I don't have relive the old stressed-out no time for me days of my workaholic youth. I have learned something. And what I learned is that this new return into corporate work-dom will offer a new opportunity to put into practice what I learned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job. While I hate that "new kid on the block" feeling, I guess it's just one of those necessary things that we need to work through to find our comfort zones.

Sounds like you're well on your way!

Jack Sprat said...

Danielle:

They ought to call it a learning SPIKE because there are no curves about it! It can be very prickly and unnerving. I'm proud of you for everything that you're doing and from personal experience I will give you one small piece of advice ....

....BREATHE!!